Thursday 22 September 2011

Not a Khana Night

Very excited this week as I have decided to try out some of the recipes from my new Madhur Jaffrey cookbook, Curry Easy for a dinner party on Saturday evening.  I thought it would be fun to do a menu for the table.  They are so going to look at me like I'm crackers.  If I'm being honest they don't really get the supper club thing, but I will not be detered.  I'm not going to going to do starters as such but small accompaniments to the main dishes as suggested by Madhur herself.  Its going to be a bit of a precursor to our Livingstone supper club on the 29th Oct, to see how I feel about cooking for about 10 people and whether my kitchen (and I) can cope.  I'm sure I heard that Heston started out in a teeny weeny kitchen and managed to turn out wonderful food.  God I'm dreaming now, Heston and me aren't exactly on the same page as far as cooking ability is concerned!  Another thought is about enough pots and pans, having said, that my mum did buy a set of them off the tinkers last year which she gave me for Christmas.  They had said they wanted 500 euro for the lot - bloody chancers, thankfully she's dealt with them a few times and managed to knock them down to a 100.  Well, lets face it the pots probably fell off the back of a lorry.

I have to admit that it has been quite thrilling planning the menu and considering all my options.  The whole point of cooking for other people as far as I am concerned is to cook that which the cheap seats (my kids) won't eat.  I like to try new things but hate waste and if I try certain types of meals on them the food is wasted.  I want to be more adventurous so a supper club, I hope, is my perfect solution.  The Boy did well for a while cooking, but now that he's working he's the 'big man well met' and needs his dinner on the table like his daddy.

So this is my menu

Gizzi's Chicken Curry
Baked Chicken
Rajasthani Red Meat
Sri Lankan White Courgette Curry

Sides of

Spicy Popcorn
Seasoned Radishes
Potato Curry
Stirfried Spicy Mushrooms

Served with

Chapati Bread
Plain Basmati 
Prawn Biryani

No comments:

Post a Comment